Why We Must Ban Homework

Why We Must Ban Homework

Nicholas R., Writer/ Editor

Why We Must Ban Homework

By: Nicholas Roess

It is unfair to hand out homework because some families don’t have the money to buy the resources their kids need to succeed in school or their parents don’t speak English and would be unable or very difficult to help their child with their homework. Let me explain, giving homework may make it harder for some students to complete it because they may not have the resources to do it. For example, if I was very poor and the teacher said to do something online, I would not be able to because I may not have a computer or wifi to complete it. Or if in English I wrote an essay and needed my parents to revise it. If they didn’t speak English, it would be very difficult for them to help me. Evidence that supports this argument is according to The Southern Education Foundation reports,that 51 percent of students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade in the 2012-2013 school year were eligible for the federal program that provides free and reduced-price lunches.”  Therefore, if these students can’t pay for lunches they probably wouldn’t be able to pay for computers and/or wifi. In addition, according to the migration policy institute, around 27% of the U.S. population are immigrants. Obviously, not all these immigrants speak foreign languages but if his or her parents do, it would make it much harder for the kids to do some of their homework. Therefore, students in school would have a much harder time doing homework because either they don’t have the money to buy the things they need to succeed or their parents don’t speak English and can’t help with certain homework. Thank You.